Take road test and get your driver licence.
Most of the registry agent offices provide road test service. The following names are links where you can book road test with some of registry agent offices. You can go to the registry office to book the road test in person, click the following links to book your road test online, or you can ask your driving instructor/school to book the test for you. Please check your driving instructor availability before booking your road test if you would like to have a brush up lesson with our driving instructor right before your road test or rent the driving school training car for your road test.
Book Your Road Test Here
You will pay to the registry office(s), not Frank Driving School.
Registry Direct Tuxedo, 2400 Centre Street NE
Registry Express Lions Park, 1632 14 Ave NW
Beddington Registry Services Beddington, 8290 Centre St. NE
Country Hills Plates Panorama, 450 Country Hills Blvd. NE
Calgary Registry Services Edgemont, 312 - 5149 Country Hills Blvd. NW
Intensive training before the road test
Most people select to have a intensive training lesson right before the road test. The instructor will try to help you correct the problems which will lead to a fail for the road test. Meanwhile, the instructor will try to relax your tension nerves and make you more confident for the test.
You will fail the road test if you do any of the following:
- Right-of-way violation - vehicle/pedestrian
- Speeding (10k over the limit)
- Stop sign violation
- Traffic light violation (including no stop when turn right on red)
- Lacks caution at uncontrolled intersection
- Obstructs traffic
- Unsafe action
- other violation
Class 5 road test
Road test or the result of road test does not affect issuing 'Driver Education Course Completion Certificate', which shows you have finished proper driver training with a qualified driver training school.
Types of the test：
Basic road test：30 minutes long, qualified for class 5 GDL driver's license after passing the test.
Advanced road test： 60 minutes long, qualified for class 5 driver's license (full license) after passing the test.
To take the basic road test, you must:
- be 16 years of age or older,
- pass the knowledge test and held class 7 driver licence at least one year, or,
- pass the knowledge test, held class 7 driver licence and have driver licence from other country recognized and approved by the government.
To take the advanced road test, you must
- be 18 years of age or older,
- held class 5 GDL driver licence for at least 24 months or
- held class 7 or class 5 GDL driver licence and have your driver licence from other country recognized and approved by the government.
- have been suspension free for the last 12 months,
Vehicles for the road test
The vehicle used for road test must be in acceptable working conditions and must have
- Valid licence plate and insurance(electronic version not acceptable)
- head lights, brake lights and signal lights
- enough fuel for the road test
Prepare for the road test:
- Make sure you have your driver licence with you
- 'Driver Education Course Completion Certificate' indicates that you have completed the driving course, driver training or driving education succsessfully. Take the certificate and show it to the registry agent office after passing your road test and upgrade your licence. A code 'U' will be added onto your driving record. You will save some money by doing this way. There will be a discount when you buy vehicle insurance with the code 'U'.
- Turn off your mobile phone. Incoming calls do affect your driving. Here is the example. A student driver was in his road test. An incoming call rang his cell phone when he pulled out after parallel parking. He almost hit the vehicle in the front and failed the road test.
- Relax your nerves. New drivers make mistakes when they are too nervous, such as no signal when turning or changing lane, missing stop signs or pedestrians etc. Try to drive confidently and remember that failing the road test is also a good lesson.
Starting the road test
The examiner will call your name, check your driver licence, vehicle registration and insurance. Then the examiner will check the vehicle head lights, signal lights and brake lights while you sit behind the wheel with engine started. After examiner entering the vehicle, you will be asked to tell some vehicle controls, such as hazard lights, windshield wiper, horn etc. Remember you need to go straight if the examiner doesn't say turn. You need to decide where and when you need to change lane.