New Comers

New comers get your licence as quick as possible


Non-Alberta license for tourists and visitors

A person visiting Alberta who is authorized to drive a motor vehicle of a particular class or type under a valid licence or permit issued outside Alberta is not required to hold a current and valid driver’s licence if the person drives the same type or class of motor vehicle while visiting in Alberta.


New Alberta residents From other places in Canada

People who have recently moved to Alberta may use their valid driver’s licence from outside of Alberta for the first 90 days of their residency. They must apply for an Alberta driver’s licence and give their old licence to an Alberta registry agent office within those 90 days. It is illegal to hold more than one driver’s licence. A driver’s licence from another jurisdiction within Canada is accepted as the same class without testing. Applicants for class 1, 2 or 4 licences must provide a medical report and pass a vision screening.

Driving in Alberta