How to Pass the Road Test
Pass your road test With Frank Driving School | Calgary
Learn more about the road test Calgary. Prepare to pass your road test first time.
We help you pass the road test !
If you book the road test by yourself, and will have a intensive tranining before the road test, please make sure one of our driving instructors is available.
Intensive training before the road test
Most people select to have an intensive training lesson right before the road test. The instructor will try to help you correct the problems which will lead to a fail for the road test. Meanwhile, the instructor will try to relax your tension nerves and make you more confident for the road test.
You will fail the road test if you do any of the following:
- Right-of-way violation - vehicle/pedestrian
- Speeding (10k over the limit)
- Stop sign violation (see following video)
- Traffic light violation (including no stop when turning right on red)
- Lacks caution at uncontrolled intersection
- Obstructs traffic
- Unsafe action
- other violation
Class 5 road test
Road test or the result of road test does not affect issuing 'Driver Education Course Completion Certificate', which shows you have finished proper driver training with a qualified driver training school.
To take the basic road test, you must:
- be 16 years of age or older,
- pass the knowledge test and held class 7 driver licence at least one year, or,
- pass the knowledge test, held class 7 driver licence and have driver licence from other country recognized and approved by the government.
To take the advanced road test, you must
- be 18 years of age or older,
- held class 5 GDL driver licence for at least 24 months or
- held class 7 or class 5 GDL driver licence and have your driver licence from other country recognized and approved by the government.
- have been suspension free for the last 12 months,
Vehicles for the road test
The vehicle used for road test must be in acceptable working conditions and must have
- Valid licence plate and insurance(electronic version not acceptable)
- head lights, brake lights and signal lights
- enough fuel for the road test
Prepare for the road test:
- Make sure you have your driver licence with you
- 'Driver Education Course Completion Certificate' indicates that you have completed the driving course, driver training or driving education succsessfully. Take the certificate and show it to the registry agent office after passing your road test and upgrade your licence. A code 'U' will be added onto your driving record. You will save some money by doing this way. There will be a discount when you buy vehicle insurance with the code 'U'.
- Turn off your mobile phone. Incoming calls do affect your driving. Here is the example. A student driver was in his road test. An incoming call rang his cell phone when he pulled out after parallel parking. He almost hit the vehicle in the front and failed the road test.
- Relax your nerves. New drivers make mistakes when they are too nervous, such as no signal when turning or changing lane, missing stop signs or pedestrians etc. Try to drive confidently and remember that failing the road test is also a good lesson.
Starting the road test
The examiner will call your name, check your driver licence, vehicle registration and insurance. Then the examiner will check the vehicle signal lights and brake lights while you sit behind the wheel with engine started. After examiner entering the vehicle, you will be asked to tell some vehicle controls, such as hazard lights, windshield wiper, horn etc. Remember you need to go straight if the examiner doesn't say turn. You need to decide where and when you need to change lane.